This cheesy Mexican Corn Dip is an awesome appetizer for your next party or to enjoy on game day. Serve this tasty corn dip cold or hot with tortilla chips or Fritos corn chips.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Makes Mexican Corn Dip So Good?
This recipe is a south-of-the-border version of the classic chip-and-dip party snack. The bold Mexican spices bring a lot of zip to the creamy mixture of mayonnaise, sour cream, and Greek yogurt.
The real surprise is the way the kennels of sweet corn add texture and a burst of sweetness to each bite. If you love spice and corn, you won't be able to get enough of this dip.
Why You Should Serve Mexican Corn Dip for Your Next Party
Dips make the best party snack recipes because they're easy to make, scale, and serve. Unfortunately, they aren't always too exciting to eat.
Well, Mexican Corn Dip is anything but ordinary. Besides the fresh corn kernels taking the dip in a new direction, the ability to serve hot or cold Mexican Corn Dip gives you much more flexibility. Hot or cold, this is one dip recipe you'll reach for when you want to mix things up.
Cheesy Mexican Corn Dip Ingredients
For this dip, you'll need:
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Sour cream
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Canned whole kernel corn
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Green onions
- Cotija cheese
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
Cotija cheese is a popular Mexican cheese. Younger Cotija cheese, the type you want for this recipe, tastes like mild feta cheese, while aged Cotija cheese has more of a parmesan flavor.
Tajin is a popular Mexican spice mix that is salty, spicy, and sour with distinct citrus flavors. It's a traditional seasoning for vegetables and fruits, but it is also fabulous on creamy dishes like avocado toast, bagels with cream cheese, and, of course, dips.
Instead of using canned corn, you can also use frozen corn (thaw it first) or kernels cut from fresh corn on the cob.
For an extra kick of heat, add chopped green chiles or jalapeno pepper.
How to Make This Mexican Corn Dip Recipe
To prepare this dip:
- Chop the green onions into small rounds and drain the canned corn in a colander. Keep both for later.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the plain Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, sour cream, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin.
- Stir in the drained corned, shredded cheddar cheese, and all but a tablespoon of chopped green onions. Mix well.
- Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Transfer the dip to the serving dish. You may want to split the dip into two or more separate containers to avoid having to toss leftovers.
- Garnish the top of the dip with crumbled Cotija cheese, the reserved chopped green onions, and a sprinkling of Tajin seasoning.
When the weather outside turns chilly, why not try the warm version of this dip? To heat this Mexican Corn Dip recipe, use the stovetop:
- Put a saucepan or skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the prepared cold Mexican Corn Dip to the saucepan.
- Heat it slowly while stirring continuously until the cheese melts and the sauce is warm and smooth.
- Transfer the warm dip to a mini slow cooker. Set the mini slow cooker on the WARM setting, garnish the dip as in the original recipe, and serve.
What to Serve With Mexican Corn Dip
A large bowl of tortilla chips is a must for this one, but Fritos corn chips, bagel chips, pita triangles, and toasted slices of bread are also great dipping options. Cheesy Mexican Corn Dip goes with all of your tailgate-snacking favorites like wings, sandwiches, and skewers.
You can make this dip up to 2 days in advance. Keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How to Store Leftovers
Toss any dip that has been out of the fridge for more than 30 minutes, but you can certainly save unserved dip in the refrigerator. Just cover the bowl with plastic wrap, making sure to push down the plastic wrap until it touches the top of the dip.
The dip will stay fresh for up to two days. If you plan to wait more than a day before eating the dip, hold off on garnishing it until just before serving.
More Tasty Game Day Recipes
Mexican Corn Dip
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 15-ounce cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions chopped + extra for garnish
- ¼ cup cotija cheese
- ¼ teaspoon tajin seasoning
- tortilla chips to serve
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the yogurt, mayonnaise, sour cream, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin with an electric mixer until smooth and fully combined.
- Add the corn, cheese, and green onions and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate the dip for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with cotija cheese, tajin seasoning, and additional chopped green onions, if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
You can enjoy this dish hot or cold. If you prefer it hot, warm the dip in a slow cooker or on the stovetop over medium-low heat until the mixture is creamy and smooth.