Banana Split Pie is an irresistible and creamy dessert with all the flavors of the ice cream treat. This no bake dessert is perfect for any occasion.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why Banana Split Pie Is the Perfect Dessert for Watching the Game
When you were a kid, winning a Little League game was just about the greatest thing on Earth. Besides the thrill of beating the other team, there was always the celebratory trip to the ice cream parlor. If you were fortunate, you might have even been able to order a banana split!
Now you are older, and your dreams are no longer about playing shortstop in the big leagues. But you can't shake the memories of how good those sundaes tasted. This recipe for Banana Split Pie recreates that classic banana split sundae flavor in a more grown-up form.
What Makes This the Best Banana Split Pie Recipe
This no-bake pie is simple to make and tastes great. Both kids and adults will love it, making it the perfect bring-along for any picnic or potluck.
Ingredients For This Banana Split Pie Dessert
To make this pie, you'll need:
- Graham cracker pie shell
- Cream cheese, softened
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Crushed pineapples, canned
- Whipped topping
- Pecans, chopped
- Maraschino cherries
- Chocolate syrup
A 9-inch store-bought graham cracker pie shell is perfect for this recipe, but feel free to make your own if you have the time.
Using whipped cream cheese makes combining the ingredient in the filling easier.
How To Make Banana Split Pie
To make this Banana Split Pie recipe:
- Take out the cream cheese to let it come up to room temperature.
- Drain the crushed pineapples.
- Slice the bananas into quarter-inch thick rounds and use them to line the bottom and sides of the graham cracker pie shell.
- Add the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer. If you don't have a stand mixer, use any medium mixing bowl and a hand mixer.
- Mix the ingredients on low speed with a flat beater attachment. You may have to stop mixing from time to time to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- When the filling is light and airy, use a rubber spatula to gently fold the drained crushed pineapples into the filling.
- Cover the banana slices in the pie shell with the filling and smooth flat.
- Add a layer of whipped topping.
- Sprinkle the top of the pie with the chopped pecans and decorate with maraschino cherries.
- Place the pie in the fridge to chill for at least one hour before garnishing with chocolate sauce and serving.
How Long Should It Set in the Refrigerator Before Eating
The minimum time to allow the pie to set is one hour, but it may take longer, depending on your fridge.
Substitutions to Consider
Try swapping out the nuts. Walnuts go particularly well with bananas.
However, if you plan to serve the pie to a large group, you may want to avoid using nuts because someone may have nut allergies.
Feel free to add any of your favorite sundae toppings and sauces to the pie. Broken Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, M&Ms, crushed Heath bars, and strawberry sauce are all great options.
Variations You Can Try
Besides making your own graham cracker pie crust, you can experiment using an Oreo or sugar cookie crust. A pecan crust is perfect for anyone who loves nuts.
Equipment You Will Need
A stand mixer makes the fluffiest filling, but a hand mixer will do the job almost as well. Getting an airy filling by hand isn't easy, but it is possible if you have enough arm strength.
What Goes With Banana Split Pie
A cup of coffee or tea is an ideal beverage to enjoy alongside a slice of homemade banana split pie.
How To Store Banana Split Pie Made With Cream Cheese
Since the pie has dairy, you must keep it in the fridge. Cover the pie with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out and picking up some of the flavors from the other food in your fridge. A more convenient solution is using a pie keeper.
How Long Does It Last
Properly covered and stored, a banana split pie will stay fresh for about five days.
Banana Split Pie
- 1 graham cracker pie crust
- 2 bananas sliced
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed pineapple drained
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 6 to 8 maraschino cherries drained
- chocolate syrup
- Line the bottom and sides of the pie shell with the sliced bananas.
- In a medium bowl, whip together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla.
- When the mixture is fluffy, stir in the drained pineapple and mix well by hand with a spatula.
- Fold in the whipped topping.
- Transfer the filling to the pie shell.
- Sprinkle the top with chopped nuts and place the cherries on top of the nuts.
- Chill the pie for 1 hour before serving.
- When ready to serve, drizzle chocolate syrup over the pie.