Indulge in the deliciousness of Homemade Burger Sauce - a special sauce for burgers that takes your favorite hamburgers to the next level.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What makes burger sauce the ideal condiment to add to your burger?
Whether you like your burgers fat and juicy or thin and crispy, the toppings you choose can make a huge difference to how your hamburger tastes. This special burger sauce is a unique condiment that goes well beyond all those other 'secret sauces' you've already tried.
The difference in this recipe is the India Relish. It adds a fair amount of piquant but never overpowers the flavor of the beef.
Why you are going to love this recipe
Simple recipes like this can have a huge impact on the taste of your meal. This classic burger sauce is easy to make, requiring only four ingredients, yet it is full of flavor.
It's similar to McDonald's Big Mac sauce but has its own unique flavor. It's a good burger sauce for any type of burger whether they are beef, chicken, or turkey.
Not a fan of hamburgers? It also pairs exceptionally well with a whole bunch of other dishes. Check out below for some suggestions on how you can use it.
Burger sauce ingredients
For this special hamburger sauce recipe, you'll need:
- India Relish
- Granulated white sugar
- Thousand Island dressing
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
When making this recipe, make sure to use Heinz India Relish, which is very different from Indian relish. If you can't find India relish, use sweet pickle relish.
For an extra tangy flavor, substitute half of the mayo with plain Greek yogurt.
To give it a kick of heat, add a dash of hot sauce or sriracha.
How to make this special sauce for burgers
To prepare the burger sauce:
- Spoon the India Relish into a colander and place it in the sink to drain off the pickle juice.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, granulated white sugar, and Thousand Island dressing.
- Stir in the drained India Relish and cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Chill the sauce for at least 20 minutes before using. If you have the time, make this burger sauce recipe the day before to allow the flavors to really meld.
What to serve hamburger sauce with
This special sauce recipe replaces ketchup, mustard, and mayo in one. Slather it on all of your hamburgers and cheeseburgers to crank up the flavor meter and put a little zip between your buns. It will be your secret sauce to surprise your family and friends with.
What other ways can I use this burger sauce recipe?
Hamburger sauce is not just for burgers. You can use it in many more ways in the kitchen. Here are a few, but try it on everything and share your favorites in the comment below:
- A great dipping sauce. The combo of rich creaminess and a crunchy tang makes this sauce the perfect ketchup upgrade. Use it as a sauce for French fries or onion rings or serve a bowl of it to dip your chicken tenders or nuggets into.
- Dress a salad. Do you love Thousand Island dressing but wish it had a little more kick? The India Relish in this recipe gives this sauce a lot more tang!
- Spread it on a sandwich. Lots of sandwiches can benefit from a thick layer of this special sauce. It's particularly delicious on hot roast beef or pastrami sandwiches, and it's tasty on chicken burgers as well!
How to store this burger sauce recipe
Keep any extra sauce in an airtight container in the fridge. Lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the sauce to prevent a skin from forming. Do not freeze.
How long will this special sauce for burgers last?
For the best flavor, use the sauce within five days. Toss it at the two-week mark.
More burger recipes for game day
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons India relish drained
- ½ teaspoons white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Thousand Island dressing
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Let stand for at least 20 minutes. For the best flavor, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight.