Get ready to score big at your next party with Cheddar Chex Mix! This mouth-watering snack is a touchdown of flavors, combining the crunch of Chex cereal, mini pretzels, Cheetos, and Cheez-Its, all tossed in a rich, buttery blend of seasonings. Each bite offers a burst of cheesy goodness thanks to a special twist – a sprinkle of cheddar cheese powder! It's simple to make and perfect for sharing.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Makes Cheddar Cheese Chex Mix the Perfect Game Day Snack?
Say goodbye to run-of-the-mill potato chips, stale pretzels, and sub-par supermarket snacks. Get ready for this hot and cheesy Chex Mix recipe straight from your oven!
Although regular Chex Mex has been popular for decades, this Cheddar Chex Mix recipe takes the classic snack mix in a new direction that will absolutely delight every cheese lover. It all starts by combining traditional Chex Mix ingredients with powdered cheese and spicy seasonings for an undeniably addictive variation that is sure to be the all-star at your next game-day gathering.
Why You Should Try This Recipe
Homemade Cheddar Chex Mix is not only delicious but also simple to make and easy on your wallet. You don't need to be a great cook or even a good one to pull this dish off.
Since one batch is enough for an entire party, it is an ideal time-saving and cost-cutting solution for entertaining! Plus having a batch on hand makes for easy snacks to enjoy at any time. It's sure to become your favorite snack mix.
Don't forget the versatility of this recipe. With so many ways of tweaking Cheesy Chex Mix to your tastes, you'll always wind up with something you love! Check out the "Recipe Variations" for some ideas to get you started, and remember to share your favorite substitutions in the comments section.
Homemade Cheddar Chex Mix Ingredients
For this Cheddar Cheese Chex Mix recipe, you'll need:
- Chex cereal
- Mini pretzels
- Cheese crackers
- Unsalted butter
- Worcestershire sauce
- Seasoned salt
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Hot sauce
- Smoked paprika
- Cheddar cheese powder
Use any flavor of Chex cereal you prefer, or mix two or more types of Chex cereals for a little more variety. Corn Chex, Wheat Chex, and Rice Chex are all great to use.
Better Cheddar Cheese Powder from King Authur Baking Company or Hoosier Hill Farm's Cheddar Cheese Powder are well-known brands.
How to Make Cheddar Chex Mix
To prepare this cheesy Chex Party Mix recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- In an extra-large bowl, combine the Chex cereal, mini pretzels, Cheetos, and cheese crackers. Gently mix with your hands.
- Put the unsalted butter in a microwave-safe bowl along with the Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, hot sauce, smoked paprika, and cheddar cheese powder.
- Microwave butter and seasonings for 10 seconds, and then give it a stir. Continue microwaving the mixture in 10-second bursts until the butter fully melts.
- Pour the seasoned melted butter over the top of the cereal mixture and toss gently to coat.
- Spread the seasoned Chex Mix on a baking sheet without overcrowding. You may need to use more than one.
- Bake the Chex Mix for an hour and 15 minutes, giving the mix a good stir every 15 minutes. After 45 minutes, keep a closer eye on the mixture to prevent it from burning.
- Cool the Chex Mix on a parchment paper-lined wire rack. Transfer to an airtight container for storage.
Prepare to give your taste buds a good time with these a few ways to customize this cheddar cheese Chex Mix recipe:
- Swap white cheddar cheese powder for the orange stuff. Hoosier Hill Farm White Cheddar Cheese Powder is a great choice.
- Replace regular Cheetos with Flamin' Hot Cheetos. Kick up the spice level with Flamin' Hot Cheetos or use a variety of Cheetos.
- Make it a Cheesy Ranch Chex Mix. Sprinkle in a tablespoon of dry ranch dressing mix or seasoning, like Ranch 3-in-1 Seasoning from McCormick.
- Get wild with the hot sauce. Choose a hot sauce that suits your taste buds. Whether you like it mild or wild, there is a hot sauce for you.
- Replace cheese crackers with other cheesy bites. Cheese straw pieces or parmesan crisps will also work well in this recipe.
- Swap out pretzels with other bready stuff. Oyster crackers, mini breadsticks, or rye chips are popular ones.
- Everything is better with bacon. After the Chex Mix comes out of the oven and cools to room temperature, sprinkle on some bacon bits and gently mix.
What to Serve Homemade Cheddar Chex Mix With
Cheddar Chex Mix is ideal for solo snacking but goes with just about all the standard party casual munchies. This recipe also works as a pub mix, and it's excellent alongside a cold beer or a classic cocktail.
How to Store This Cheddar Cheese Chex Mix Recipe
Keep the cooled Chex Mex in an airtight container and keep it on the counter, or put it in the fridge for four to five days.
To save the Chex Mix with cheddar cheese for longer than just a few days, freeze it on a parchment-lined baking tray. Then, you can transfer the frozen Chex Mix to a freezer-safe bag and store it for up to a month.
More Snacks for Game Day
Cheddar Chex Mix
- 9 cups Chex cereal corn, rice, or wheat
- 2 cups mini pretzels
- 2 cups Cheetos
- 2 cups Cheez-Its
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons cheddar cheese powder
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Mix the cereal, pretzels, Cheetos, and Cheez-Its in a large mixing bowl. Gently toss until well mixed.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter with the remaining ingredients. Whisk until the seasonings have dissolved. Pour over the party mix and gently toss to coat.
- Spread the party mix evenly on an extra-large baking pan or 2 large baking pans and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, stopping to stir every 15 minutes.
- Spread on parchment paper to cool completely and store in an airtight container at room temperature.