Turn your game day party into an instant victory when you serve these incredible wonton chips with a nice, crisp bite. All you need is some wonton wrappers, your favorite seasonings, and oil or cooking spray to create the best homemade chips your guests will devour!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Air Fried Wonton Chips
If you’ve been looking for a way to step up your hosting game, these crunchy air-fried wonton wrappers are perfect for you. You'll love making these because they take the stress out of party prep. Using the air fryer means you can quickly pop these in the appliance and have them done, allowing you to focus on other appetizers and snacks.
These chips can be enjoyed independently, paired with dips, or used as a dish garnish, so they have many functions. The greatest part is that everyone will be raving about how delicious these are because of their perfect texture and simple yet delicious flavor.
I don’t think you’ll end up with any leftovers, but if you do, you can enjoy them as an afternoon snack or soup garnish during the week.
Why This is The Best Recipe For Wonton Chips
Hands down, this is the crispiest, lightest chip you’ll ever eat! There are many ways to serve it; it tastes better than any wonton chip you’ll get out of a bag.
Why buy premade chips when you can make them fresh in under ten minutes? This recipe is effortless since you only need a couple of ingredients. Despite its basic formula, it produces impressive results, and you can season them to fit your and your family’s preferences.
- Wonton wrappers
- Cooking spray (olive oil or vegetable oil spray)
You can find wonton wrappers at Asian markets and regular grocery stores.
If you can’t get ahold of wonton wrappers, you can use egg roll wrappers instead, although they will produce slightly different results because they’re not as thin.
In terms of oil or cooking spray, you can use other cooking oils! I love to use a bit of sesame oil (or coconut oil) and sprinkle them with sesame seeds sometimes.
Other options include canola oil or avocado oil spray. Remember that you don’t need much at all to get the job done.
How to Make Air Fryer Wonton Chips
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F.
- Cut the wonton wrappers into triangle shapes.
- Line up the cut wonton wrappers and spray them with cooking spray on both sides.
- Pick your favorite seasonings, then scatter them atop the wonton chips with salt.
- Assemble the seasoned wonton chips in the air fryer, ensuring they do not overlap.
- Air fry wonton chips by cooking them for roughly 3 to 5 minutes at 350°F.
- Check on them as the end of the cooking time approaches to prevent burning.
Of course, an air fryer is needed for these wonton chips because the appliance helps to make them extra crunchy.
Aside from that, you only need a good pair of kitchen shears to cut them into triangles. Personally, I love to use a pizza cutter for this, though, because it creates even, polished lines when I cut them.
This recipe for making wonton chips in the air fryer is so simple, which gives you creative freedom to experiment with seasonings!
- Spicy Wonton Chips. Use seasonings like cayenne, Cajun, smoked paprika, or chipotle seasonings to give these delicious chips a fiery kick.
- Crispy Wonton Strips. Cut the wrappers into strips instead of triangles.
- Glaze them. After air frying the wonton chips, use a pastry brush to glaze them with melted honey, giving them a sweet and salty flavor! Although it makes them slightly sticky, it’s worth getting your fingers messy!
- Turn them into a dessert. Coat the cooked wonton chips in a cinnamon-sugar mixture to make them taste similar to churros! Dip the sugary chips in whipped cream or use them as a crispy topping for ice cream.
How To Serve Crispy Wonton Chips
This is the ultimate chip to serve at game-day parties! Think of it this way: you can use it to replace other types of bread, chips, or crackers.
Pile them into a bowl like you would tortilla chips or spread them out on a party platter with a bowl of dip in the middle, which gives them a fantastic presentation.
Another option is to use them as a garnish for soups or salads, providing a much-needed crispy component and appetizing decoration!
What To Serve with Wonton Chips
Here is the fun part! Serve these chips with one of your favorite dips like spicy buffalo, creamy spinach artichoke dip, or cream cheese crab rangoon dip. They taste wonderful with both chilled and warm dips.
Some sauces that are great for dipping are sweet and sour sauce and Thai sweet chili sauce.
You can also serve them with cheese balls, a fantastic appetizer for game days.
Moreover, you can't go wrong serving them with salsa, guacamole, hummus, or even a homemade pico de gallo.
For a creative twist, turn them into nachos that you can enjoy while you watch your favorite team play. Top the wonton chips with creamy cheese sauce, sour cream, tomatoes, and olives, or load them up with carrots, shredded chicken, cabbage, and more.
As you can see, there are endless possibilities.
How to Store Air Fried Wonton Chips
Keep these chips in a sealed container or transfer them to a ziptop bag or airtight container to maintain the best flavor and quality! They might lose their wonderful snappy texture if you leave them out uncovered. Just make sure to fully cool them first.
How To Freeze Wonton Chips
I do not recommend freezing the air fried wonton chips because they will likely have a different texture when you thaw them. However, if you have extra wonton wrappers you didn’t cook, you can freeze them and air fry them later.
How To Reheat Crispy Wonton Chips
If you want to make these chips crispy and hot again, you can briefly throw them in the air fryer for 1-2 minutes to refresh them. Just keep an eye on them so they don’t get too dark.
Are Wonton Chips Gluten-Free or Vegan?
This all depends on the brand you purchase. Some contain eggs. Vegan brands include Nasoya, Dynasty, and Twin Dragon Wonton Wrappers. On the other hand, if you have Wing Hing Wonton Wrappers, they are not vegan-friendly.
Regarding gluten-free options, many wonton wrappers contain all-purpose or wheat flour, which has gluten. If you’ve already purchased wonton wrappers, look at the ingredient list to see if yours has flour or another gluten-containing ingredient. Luckily, there are specially made wonton wrappers you can purchase made with different types of flour.
More Air Fryer Recipes for Game Day
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs
Air Fryer Wonton Chips
- 48 wonton wrappers
- cooking spray olive or vegetable oil spray
- seasonings of your choice
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F (175°C).
- Cut the wonton wrappers into triangles and lay them in a single layer on a clean surface. Coat both sides with cooking spray. Sprinkle with your choice of seasonings and a pinch of salt.
- Place the seasoned wonton wrappers in the preheated air fryer basket in a single layer, ensuring they do not overlap. You may need to do this in batches if you have a lot of wonton chips.
- Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Keep a close eye on them to prevent burning, as cooking times may vary depending on your air fryer.