Indulge in the irresistible goodness of homemade green onion dip! Bursting with the vibrant flavors of fresh green onions and savory herbs, this creamy dip is the ultimate companion for your snacking moments. Whether paired with crispy potato chips, crackers, or fresh veggies, it's a delightful way to elevate your appetizer game. Make the best green onion chip dip with cream cheese and sour cream for your next game day festivities.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Makes This Green Onion Chip Dip the Perfect Addition to Your Next Party?
When it comes to dips, you can't get much more classic than Green Onion Dip with cream cheese. This version takes the old standby and elevates the taste by adding tons of seasonings and a splash of Worcestershire sauce.
The smoothness of the cream cheese helps balance the tang from the sour cream, while the green onions add pops of freshness. The twists on an old standby are guaranteed to make this recipe the star at your next tailgate!
Why You Should Try This Recipe
Prepping for a party shouldn't be a hassle, and when it comes to organizing the snacks, chips and dips are the no-stress solution. But don't your guests deserve better than something that comes in a jar?
This homemade Green Onion Dip recipe is super easy to make and bursts with intense flavors that prepackaged mix can't match.
Green Onion Chip Dip Ingredients
For this sour cream Green Onion Dip, you'll need these simple ingredients:
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Seasoned salt
- Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Dry ranch dressing mix
- Green onions
You can use your favorite brand of seasoned salt for this recipe. The original Lawry's Seasoned Salt works well, but you can also choose a seasoned salt with a little more heat.
Depending on where you live, stores may label green onions scallions. But don't worry, scallions and green onions are the same vegetable.
You can add a tablespoon of chopped fresh herbs such as fresh parsley, cilantro, or thyme. If you don't have fresh herbs, a teaspoon of dried parsley.
Give it a spicy kick with a dash of cayenne pepper or hot sauce.
Add 1 or two cloves garlic that is finely minced if you enjoy garlic. Or ½ to 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to give it another layer of flavor.
You can substitute sour cream with plain Greek yogurt. Full fat is best since reduced fat will not have the same consistency.
How to Make Homemade Green Onion Dip
To prepare this dip:
- Place the cream cheese on the counter to soften.
- Rinse, dry, and finely slice the green parts of the green onions. If you want, slice some of the white part for the dip; however, the closer you get to the root end, the stronger the onion flavor will be. Set aside the sliced green onions for later.
- In a large bowl, stir together the softened cream cheese and sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the seasoned salt, freshly ground black pepper, and dry ranch powder.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix the dry seasonings into the cream cheese and sour cream.
- Add the green onions to the dip and stir well to combine thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for a few hours to allow the flavors to meld before serving.
- Transfer the green onion cream cheese dip to a serving bowl. You can optionally garnish the dip with more green onion slices. To avoid tossing everything at the end of the night, serve the dip in a small bowl and refill as needed.
What to Dip Into This Sour Cream Green Onion Dip
When it comes to dippers for this Green Onion Dip recipe, you have a lot of options:
- Chips of all kinds are great choices. Thick-cut potato chips or tortillas are traditional, but why not add bagel chips or pita chips to the list?
- Hard pretzels. Sourdough and extra dark varieties add another dimension to the dip.
- Crackers or toasted bread rounds are perfect if you are serving green onion cream cheese dip as part of a charcuterie board.
- Fresh-cut veggies. Bell pepper strips, celery sticks, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, or cold blanched broccoli and cauliflower florets are healthy options.
Other Ways to Use Homemade Green Onion Dip
Cream cheese onion dip is so tasty you'll want to use it for more than just dipping. Here are a few suggestions that you can try:
- Mayo is boring. So why not use this dip in its place? Spread some of it on a bun to add a mouthwatering tang to your beef or veggie burgers.
- Energize your boring old tacos. Whether you prefer shredded pork, crispy fish, or ground beef filling, all of them will taste better with a dollop of this dip recipe.
- Jazz up your pinwheel sandwiches. Cream cheese is a great glue for Pinwheel Sandwiches, but it doesn't bring much in terms of flavor. But this dip sure does!
How to Store Green Onion Chip Dip
Since this is a dairy-based dip, you shouldn't save any leftovers you served. However, you can keep unserved dip covered in the fridge.
How Long Will Green Onion Dip Last
Cream cheese onion dip will stay fresh in the fridge for up to three days; however, the longer it sits, the more intense the flavors will get.
More Easy Dip Recipes
Find lots of easy recipes for dips right here on Game Day Eats!
Green Onion Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon dry ranch powder
- 1 cup finely sliced green onions
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and sour cream and mix until well blended.
- Add the seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, ground black pepper, and dry ranch powder and mix well. Fold in the green onions.
- Store in an airtight container for a few hours before serving.